Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Nostos

My Wikipedia project was over the theme of Nostos from Homer's The Odyssey. Nostos is the theme involving the return home of an epic hero from a foreign land, being shipwrecked, and having to go through many hard and difficult tasks to try and return. Nostos also involves trying to retain a certain identity when the hero does arrive home. In The Odyssey, Odysseus fights in the Trojan War, and upon his return he is shipwrecked on different islands. On these islands, he encounters different things that he and his crew must overcome, such as a monstrous cyclops, the song of the Sirens, or the Lotus-eaters. Once Odysseus does make it back home, he has to regain the loyalty of his servants and also gain back his wife and son. Nostos is also used today in many movies and forms of literature.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading The Odyssey. I liked the story that it was telling. I don't really enjoy history, but this was a goodway to learn about certain parts of history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds interesting. I'd like to know more about the background characters from the Odyssey. It's amazing how much background characters get overlooked in the stories, even when they help out a lot. I wonder if this could change my perspective on the Odyssey.

    ReplyDelete